1 involving the body as distinguished from the mind or spirit; "physical exercise"; "physical suffering"; "was sloppy about everything but her physical appearance" [ant: mental]
2 relating to the sciences dealing with matter and energy; especially physics; "physical sciences"; "physical laws"
3 having substance or material existence; perceptible to the senses; "a physical manifestation"; "surrounded by tangible objects" [syn: tangible, touchable]
4 according with material things or natural laws (other than those peculiar to living matter); "a reflex response to physical stimuli"
5 characterized by energetic bodily activity; "tennis is an active sport"; "a very physical dance performance" [syn: active]
6 concerned with material things; "physical properties"; "the physical characteristics of the earth"; "the physical size of a computer"
7 impelled by physical force especially against resistance; "forcible entry"; "a real cop would get physical"; "strong-arm tactics" [syn: forcible, strong-arm]
- Having to do with the body.
- Are you feeling any physical effects?
- Having to do with the material world.
- It's not so much a physical place as a state of mind.
- Involving bodily force.
- This team plays a very physical game, so watch out.
- Having to do with physics.
- This substance has a number of interesting physical properties.
- psychological, having to do with the mind rather than body.
having to do with the body
having to do with the material world
- Chinese: 物理的 (wùlǐ de)
- Dutch: fysisch, fysische
- Finnish: fyysinen
- French: physique m|f
- German: physisch, materiell, stofflich
- Hebrew: ממשי, פיזי
- Hungarian: fizikai
- Italian: fisico
- Japanese: 肉体の (にくたいの, nikutai no)
- Korean: 육체적 (yukchejeok)
- Portuguese: físico
- Russian: физический (fizíčeskij)
- Spanish: físico
- Swedish: fysisk
- Telugu: భౌతికము (bhautikamu)
involving bodily force
having to do with physics
- Physical examination.
- How long has it been since your last physical?
Physical can mean any of the following things.
- The nature (physicality) of a physical entity
- Physical examination, a regular overall check-up with a doctor
- Physical (Olivia Newton-John album) (1981), by Olivia Newton-John
- "Physical" (Olivia Newton-John song) (1981), from the album
- "Physical" (Alcazar song) (2004), by Swedish pop group Alcazar
- "Physical (You're So)" (1980), a song from Adam & the Ants's album Kings of the Wild Frontier, later covered by Nine Inch Nails on Broken (1992)
Adamic, Circean, actual, aerophysical, animal, animalistic, astrophysical, atavistic, beastlike, beastly, bestial, bodily, born, brutal, brute, brutish, carnal, carnal-minded, check, checkup, coarse, coeval, concrete, congenital, connatal, connate, connatural, constitutional, corporal, corporeal, earthly, earthy, elemental, elementary, fallen, fleshly, genetic, gross, hereditary, hylic, in the blood, inborn, inbred, incarnate, indigenous, inherited, innate, instinctive, instinctual, lapsed, lusty, manifest, material, materialistic, materiate, mortal, native, native to, natural, natural to, nonspiritual, objective, organic, orgiastic, palpable, phenomenal, physical examination, postlapsarian, primal, real, secular, sensible, solid, somatic, spot check, substantial, swinish, tangible, temperamental, temporal, true, unspiritual, visceral, worldly